Admission with Advanced Standing

Transfer Credit is reviewed by the Registrar’s Office once a student has been accepted to SUNY Adirondack. Official transcripts must be sent to the Registrar’s Office for review. Transfer credit is applied to the student’s academic record upon enrollment. A detailed list of Advanced Standing credits are available on the College website at

Advanced Placement (AP) Exam

SUNY Adirondack recognizes the College Board’s Advanced Placement (AP) exams and awards credit for successful completion of AP exams in the same manner that transfer credits are awarded.

Successful completion of AP exams is indicated by grades of 3, 4, or 5. Credits awarded from AP exams must meet degree requirements in an appropriate academic area. They can also be used for elective credit.

Armed Forces Credit

Students may receive transfer credit for courses evaluated for credit by the American Council on Education (ACE) which were completed while in the Armed Forces. Please submit your official military transcript for evaluation.

BOCES College Credit Articulation Agreement

SUNY Adirondack offers students enrolled in BOCES Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs the opportunity to earn college credit based on the successful completion of a BOCES CTE program. In order to receive transfer credit for completed coursework you must submit an official BOCES transcript. Please be advised that demonstration of your ability in a lab setting may also be required to earn transfer credit.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

SUNY Adirondack recognizes credit earned through testing by the College Level Examination Program (CLEP). SUNY Adirondack awards credit for successful completion of CLEP tests in the same manner that transfer credits are awarded. No grade is assigned to these credits recognized to be the equivalent of a “C” level score or higher.

Course Challenge Examinations

The College may provide examinations for current students if no appropriate tests are commercially available. Only students who have registered for course challenge examinations in the Office of the Registrar are eligible for the awarding of credit. Examinations must be approved by the appropriate Division Chair. No exam may be taken for a course at a lower level if credit has been earned in a higher-level course. Credit awarded through examination is not considered residence credit.

Credit for Licensure or Certification

Matriculated students may earn credit based on previous experience for courses required in their program of study when faculty identify external, non-degree credentials (e.g., LPN licensure) which satisfy the student learning outcomes of said coursework. In addition, for Licensure or Certification not previously evaluated by the college, the student shall initate the evaluation process by completing a Credit for Licensure or Certification form available in the Office of the Registrar.

DSST Testing

The College recognizes many DSST (DANTES (Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support) Subject Standardized Tests) exams and awards credit for successful completion as recommended by the American Council on Education (ACE).

Excelsior College Proficiency Exams

Excelsior College offers proficiency exams for college credit. SUNY Adirondack accepts some credits for successful completion of Excelsior College External Degree Examinations in the same manner that transfer credits are awarded.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

SUNY Adirondack will award credit for IB Diploma courses on either the Standard Level (SL) or High Level (HL). Certificate students taking the following exams will also receive credit. Minimum scores vary. Please request that the official transcript be sent to the Office of the Registrar at the College.

Transfer Credit for Work Completed at Other Colleges

Degree candidates at SUNY Adirondack may receive credit for courses completed at other regionally accredited colleges and universities. Credit toward the Associate degree or Certificate will be granted for courses which are identical or similar to those offered at SUNY Adirondack and in which a grade of C or better has been achieved. Courses taken at institutions of higher learning which do not have regional accreditation (including degree-granting schools and colleges) may also be accepted if they meet the same outcomes of the course taught at SUNY Adirondack and in which a grade of C or better has been achieved.  

Due to the extraordinary circumstances surrounding SUNY’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic, when evaluating general education course credit earned during the spring 2020 term by incoming transfer students, transfer of credit is guaranteed at all SUNY campuses if a SUNY general education course is
successfully completed with any passing grade, including a ‘P’ in a Pass/Fail grading system. For all other courses outside of the general education requirement, campuses must apply the same flexibilities in their local grading policies to transfer students as they do for native students for the same period of time. The college will extend this spring 2020 credit evaluation to include non-SUNY campuses too.

The student is responsible for providing all required documentation for evaluation of transferable credit. Credit will be granted for those courses applicable to a student’s specific degree program.  Please contact the Assistant Registrar for more information.

Transfer Credit Limitations

Certain academic divisions may require additional evidence of proficiency and/or demonstration of competency in laboratory or other "hands-on" performance before granting credit for work completed.

Credit earned by any of the above methods will become part of the student's permanent record after student becomes matriculated at SUNY Adirondack. No more than 34 degree credit hours or 15 Certificate credit hours may be granted for work completed in all of these programs combined.

Appealing the Evaluation

If you disagree with your credit evaluation, there is an appeal process. Please contact the Office of the Registrar with your questions or concerns.

If the concern is readily resolved, a correction will be made and a new evaluation will be sent to you.  If we need additional information about the course, you will be requested to get a course syllabus  or course outline before any credit is re-evaluated.  A new evaluation will be done within a reasonable period of time and you will be notified of the decision.

Transfer students coming from another SUNY institution who have gone through the above processes and still have concerns may appeal to our campus transfer representative. Please follow this link for more information:

The Power of SUNY
Plattsburgh University
Empire State College