Veterans Service/Education Benefits
Providing services to Veterans and dependents of Veterans has always been a concern of SUNY Adirondack. A New York State Veterans Benefits Advisor is available right on campus to work with students who have questions or need assistance in applying for Veteran Educational Benefits. Students can stop by the Randles Veteran Resource Center for assistance. Veteran Educational Claims are processed through the Office of the Registrar.
Veteran Services at SUNY Adirondack:
For your convenience, there is a Full-Service Veterans Benefit Office on campus, located in the Randles Veteran Resource Center. Ruben Acevedo, our Veterans Benefits Advisor, wants to remind all student Veterans and eligible family members, that he can assist with a wide-range of Veteran Services. Here are just a few:
- Assistance with applying for educational benefits, and other Veteran benefits
- Assistance with completing applications for compensation (service-connected disabilities) or pension (non-service-connected disability)
- Assistance with completing applications for VA Health Care
- Request Veteran's separation records (DD 214) and Medical records
- Assist survivors of a deceased Veteran in obtaining death benefits such as burial in a national cemetery, burial allowances, government grave marker and survivor benefits
In addition to the above, the following information on other Veterans benefits is also provided:
- Veterans can now obtain a Veterans ID Card (VIC) for use as proof of military service in lieu of using a DD 214. Go to Vets.Gov and click on "Apply for printed Veteran ID Card".
- CDTA is now providing Half-Fare cards to Veterans. Go to CDTA.Org for details.
- No expiration date on the Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefit. Service members whose last day of Active Duty is on or after January 1, 2013 and Fry Scholarship recipients who become eligible on or after January 1, 2013 no longer have a delimiting date (their Post-9/11 GI Bill will never expire).
- Are you aware that VA has a home loan program?
- Did you know that Veterans can receive a Property Tax Exemption?
- Were you aware that you could receive additional monies for your dependents if you are receiving service-connected compensation?
Please stop in, call (518) 832-7744, or email Ruben.Acevedo@Veterans.NY.Gov to ensure that you are receiving all that you or your family members are entitled to.
Veterans Education Benefits:
Chapter 33* - Post 9/11 G.I. Bill. The Post-9/11 GI Bill is for individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. The Member 4 copy of your DD 214 is required. This program will pay eligible individual's tuition and fees** directly to the school. Students will also receive an annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment. The program will also pay a monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents based on the zip code of the school. Information on the housing allowance rates can be found at http://www.defense travel.dod.mil.perdiem.bah.html. To apply for this benefit, plese call our Veterans Benefit Advisor, located on campus, at (518) 832-7744.
Chapter 30 - The Montgomery G.I. Bill. This program provides educational benefits to individuals that served on active duty. The Member 4 copy of your DD 214 is required. To apply for this benefit please visit http:/www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-22-1990-ARE.pdf.
Chapter 31* - Vocational Rehabilitation for Service-Disabled Veterans. This program is for individuals who have a service connected disability. The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs determines that training and rehabilitation services are needed to overcome an employment barrier. Veterans should contact the Chapter 31 Case Manager at the VA Medical Center, 113 Holland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208. The Case Manager can be reached by phone at (518)626-5692 or (518)626-5693. Once eligibility has been established, the Case Manager will issue a signed 22-1995, either to the student or to SUNY Adirondack Veterans' School Certifying Official.
Chapter 35 - Dependents Education Assistance Program. This program is for the dependents (spouse or children) of individuals who die or are permanently disabled from service connected causes. To apply for this benefit, please call our Veterans Benefit Advisor, located on campus, at (518) 832-7744.
Chapter 1606 and/or 1607 - Montgomery G.I. Bill-Selected Reserve. These programs are available to members of the Selected Reserve, including the National Guard. The form DD2384 (NOBE) is required. To apply for this benefit please call our Veterans Benefit Advisor, located on campus, at (518) 832-7744.
*Students receiving these awards will have reduced eligibility for NYS awards which are intended to cover tuition charges only.