Counseling and Transfer Services

Supportive Counseling

College students are faced with many choices and challenging situations.  Counselors are available on campus to help with concerns which may arise such as:

  • Coping with personal issues that are interfering with academic success
  • Setting goals and priorities
  • Establishing strategies and patterns that lead to success
  • Transferring to a four year college
  • Accessing resources to help strengthen academic and life skills

SUNY Adirondack Counselors present workshops throughout the academic year in areas such as time management, study skills, note taking, transferring, conflict management, stress management, healthy relationships, and substance abuse and addiction.  They facilitate groups each semester including Mindfulness/Meditation, Empowering Relationships, Students in Recovery, and Lifelong Learner Support.  The Counseling Staff also addresses student retention, reaching out to work individually with students who live on campus and are struggling academically.

Counselors can assist students in their attempt to reduce symptoms of distress and increase positive coping strategies.  Short-term, supportive counseling is available as well as referral to community services.

All students are eligible for services and can find our office on the upper floor of Washington Hall.  Appointments can be made by calling the office at 518-743-2278 or by stopping in to see our receptionist between 8am and 4pm.  Evening hours are available weekly and should be scheduled by appointment.

Transfer Counseling

The Transfer Counselor at SUNY Adirondack helps students plan for transfer through the following activities:

  • Facilitates workshops on the “transfer process”
  • Advises students regarding transfer requirements and preparation
  • Provides information on “articulation agreements” and transfer opportunities with four-year institutions
  • Provides students with information on transfer scholarship opportunities

Quick Guide to Transferring

If you are planning to transfer from SUNY Adirondack, it is generally advisable to complete associate degree requirements first, although transfer of coursework is still possible without degree completion. SUNY Adirondack has established formal transfer agreements with numerous public and private colleges and universities in New York State and throughout the Northeast. Some suggestions for making a smooth transfer include:

  • Investigate possible transfer colleges before admission to SUNY Adirondack or as early as possible in your SUNY Adirondack career. Have two or three specific transfer colleges in mind, and study the catalogs for each, carefully.
  • Plan your courses at SUNY Adirondack so that they coincide with courses normally required of freshmen and sophomores at your desired four-year college. Laying the foundation for the baccelaureate degree while you are a student at SUNY Adirondack will save you time and money.
  • Investigate costs at the four-year college and design a financial plan. Check with the SUNY Adirondack Financial Aid Office and the four-year college’s Financial Aid Office to find out what you may be eligible for and what your actual cost will be.
  • Talk with four-year college admissions counselors who visit the SUNY Adirondack campus. Each year, representatives from colleges all over the northeast come to the campus for fall and spring Transfer Days and College Nights to talk with students about transferring.
  • Plan a visit to the colleges you are considering. It is helpful in your decision making to visit four-year college campuses and to speak with admissions personnel. In addition, some colleges require or recommend an admissions interview.

Transfer Opportunities

If your future includes plans to transfer from SUNY Adirondack to other four-year schools within the SUNY system or other private colleges and universities, you will want to explore the transfer opportunities available to SUNY Adirondack students. On our website there is a list of colleges for which we have established transfer agreements or "2 plus 2" programs that will allow a student to complete two years at SUNY Adirondack and then transfer to complete the final two years at a four-year institution. Keep in mind that these are subject to change and that it is always a good idea to consult with the transfer counselor in the Student Success Center.  The most up-to-date agreements can be found on the SUNY Adirondack Website.  To make an appointment with the Transfer Counselor, all 518-743-2278 or 518-832-7708.

Regional Higher Education Center

Since 2009, the J. Buckely Bryan Jr., ACC '87, '94 Regional Higher Education Center at SUNY Adirondack's Queensbury Campus offers local access to Bachelor's and Master's degrees via accredited partner institutions:

  • SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury
  • SUNY Empire State College



The Power of SUNY
Plattsburgh University
Empire State College
Paul Smith's College

Signature Programs